Monday 17 November 2014

Victorian Christmas

Hello everyone and welcome, specially also to new followers! Lovely to have you join me on my creative journey!
Today I am sharing a page in my water colour journal.
Ever since it started, I have been wanting to play in the Artist Trading Post new challenge blog, and every time I have just missed the deadline.
When I saw the new theme Stencil Mania hosted my the amazing Julia, I was so inspired by all the fantastic DT samples, that I knew I just had to prioritize for it straight away. So here is my journal page, full of stencilling....

The background to this page started as a kind of mop up page from other projects, picking up various Lindy's Stampgang and Tim Holtz sprays.

Then because of the challenge theme I added texture and crackle pastes through various Martha Stewart and Memory Box stencils, and when dry I added some Golden Acrylic Paint and Walnut Stain Distress Spray over the raised bits and highlighted with treasure gold. Here are some close ups:


As you can probably see I also did some more stencilling in the back ground with various Tim Holtz layering stencils and both Archival and Distress Inks. I also stamped and gold embossed a La Blanch swirl stamp in various places.

From that point on, the page kind of took on a life of its own and turned into a sort of Victorian Christmas page. (It was meant to have been something quite different originally)...
This little victorian Christmas angel (from the Papermania Vintage Christmas collection), was flying around on my desk, and she called out to me that she wanted to be placed there. So after that I then stamped and inked a Christmas tree stamp and added it to another corner of the page to balance it all out a bit. (No idea anymore who made that stamp, it's been in my box of Christmas stamps for ages).
I added some Ancient Gold embossing powder around the edges and adhered it to the page, covering up most of the crackled stencilling, ah well, too bad, it kind of just looked as if it was needed there.

The final bit was to add some bits of tissue tape and the words created with the little Tim Holtz letter tiles. I also added some snowflakes still, stamped in white Distress Paint and some highl;ight for a bit of festive sparkle with Diamond Stickles.
 I am adding this to the Artist Trading Post Stencil Mania challenge
That's Crafty Anything Vintage challenge

Thanks for coming by to look and have a creative week!!!


38 comments:

massofhair said...

Glorious page Astrid, so many wonderful touches, such depth and dimension here. Absolutely beautiful:-) xxx

Julia Aston said...

What a lovely vintage/Victorian page Astrid - the stenciling with the various pastes, colors and touches of gold all work to make a wonderful textured creation!

Maryann Laursen said...

WAUW Astrid, it is really stunning work here hun. I absolut love everything you´ve done to this page here, soooooooo sooo beautiful.

Annie said...

Fabulous details in your amazing journal page Astrid. I love the background details and the depth you have created with the stencils and stamps. I hate it when you cover up detailed areas but the tree looks perfect there as does your little angel.
Great to have you join in with us at ATP Exchange too.

TFS and best wishes
Annie x

chrissie said...

Very beautiful. The crackled texture is just amazing as are all of the colours you used.

Always love to read the quote of the day at the top of you blog :)

Love Chrissie x

Redanne said...

This is a beautiful Victorian Christmas scene Astrid, I love the textures you created, both real and faux with the stenciling. The images give such a lift to the background and those little snowflakes you added feel quite magical - I love your page! Anne xx

Carol said...

Stunning Love this page x Have a lovely day x

Julia S-W said...

What a gorgeous journal page you've created here Astrid! I love how the detailed images show all the beautiful stencilling, crackle, colour and sheen. The vintage feel of the page is perfectly in tune with the little girl, the colours and 'scene' you've developed. Love it!
Thanks so much for joining my challenge at ATP Exchange - I'm delighted you found time to join us in your busy schedule!
Julia xx

Claudia N. said...

What a beautiful page, Astrid!

I love the perfect dose of "bling" you have added to it and the textures you have created are absolutely adorable!

Also love the "warmth" your page spreads. It has something real X-massy about it. Beautiful!

Hugs,
Claudia x

froebelsternchen said...

I love all this gorgeous textures.. what a lovely beautiful make !

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

This is gorgeous Astrid,transports me back to a good old fashioned Christmas time :)

Big hugs
Donna xxx

Maryanne said...

This is a fantastic page, Astrid! I love all the ways you used the stencils with the different embossing pastes and inks. It's so very vintage and Victorian!

Pamellia said...

Just stunning Astrid! You really achieved some amazing points of interest just by using stencils! Love the textures and the rich colours as well! Such a stunning piece of art work! big hugs :)

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Gorgeous page, I love all the details and especially the effect of the crackle paste. I have a jar of it sitting here and must give it a work out :) Have a wonderful day, Shirleyxx

Meihsia Liu said...

Such a stunning creation! The textures and all the elements are fabulous. :)

Nicole Wright Designs said...

What a pretty, pretty page. I love everything about it.

Dorthe said...

A gorgeous page Astrid,- I`m alwayes so in love with your stenciled backgrounds, and this is no ecception. It looks wonderful ,and the gold embossing makes it really christmassy !!
Hugs from Dorthe

Christiane Courtin-Mangez said...

Love so much this great and georgous vintage/Victorian page Astrid !!!
Hugs from France, Christiane

Juliz Design Post said...

Gorgeous textural vintage page and your little girl suits it beautifully.
Julie x

May said...

Stunning vintage page Astrid... I adore all the wonderful texture & colours the images are Beautiful... Hugs May x x

Anonymous said...

[GASP] Ohh Astrid! This is incredible. The colours, the crackling, the image ... ohhh everything. Absolutely every thing.

Beautiful art from a beautiful artist.
I love it. ~ Cobs. x

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Loads of techniques, great details make this gorgeous ánd impressive Astrid! Chapeau..
greetings, Alie :-)

Meggymay said...

A gorgeous vintage page, love how it evolved for you. The textures, details and stencils all look fantastic. Thank you for joining us at ATP Exchange this time.
Yvonne

Dreaming of Vintage said...

Lovely Astrid!

Mrs.B said...

A stunning page, love all the texture and shimmering highlights. Beautiful images too.
Avril xx

Heather Jacob said...

sigh , texture heaven .. love the richness of your colors x

Ros Crawford said...

This is amazing in the extreme! Love your use of colour and texture ... Stunning page!

Jackie PN said...

Beautiful use of those stencils Astrid!! I especially love the area around the tree- something about this pulls me right in! xoxo

Words and Pictures said...

Loving all that stencilled texture - especially the crackly bits of course. Another wonderful vintage creation - it must give you such joy to turn the pages of this journal.
Alison xx

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous journal page Astrid ! Love the stencilling and the texture you've created. Thanks for joining us at ATP Exchange ! Sue C x

Dianne said...

Oh my goodness Miss Astrid this is a true art work creation, wow the texture, the crackle, the colors, all the sparkle, all the added elements, just breathtaking, this is going to win the challenge, I would say, thanks for ALWAYAS inspiring me you ROCK, hope you have a wonderful week, and thanks for visiting my nest, your comments make my day. ((( BIG HUGS )))..

Unknown said...

The whole journal page is gorgeous! All the textures and rich colours.. my favourite is the textured crackled corner with the tree... so pretty! xxx

Deb said...

Beautiful page, a Victorian Christmas indeed!

Terry said...

This is stunning, Astrid! I love the sweet little image and gorgeous texture. Fabulous vintage project! Hugs!

Marisa Job said...

Another stunning creation! Great texture and colors!! Hugs!

Joanna Wiśniewska said...

Beautiful details Astrid.
Joanna

Deborah Wainwright said...

What a beautiful page Astrid full of vintage colours and techniques. I always find your art so inspirational thank you for sharing. Xx

Anonymous said...

Those gorgeous rich colours and amazing texture! AWESOME! Karen.x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key