Saturday 24 October 2015

Guest Designing at Mixed Media World....



Hello everyone! I am happy to be able to share a project with you that I created for the wonderful Mixed Media World challenge blog. I was super excited when the lovely Ingrid Kristina, the owner of the blog, invited me to be guest designer there, so here goes:
I just love the current theme of using something made from wood as a substrate and decided to alter a little triptych/photo frame that I have had in my stash for ages.


-
I am going to use it to display various pieces of art, changing them regularly to reflect the season we are in. My current piece hopefully gives the feeling of the last of late summer. I could have made a more Autumnal piece, but just received some new stamps from Inkylicious and really wanted to have a play with those…The frame started looking like this:
I gave it a coat of gesso and when that had dried added a mix of crackle and normal texture paste with the help of a palette knife. 
I used a variety of brown and buff coloured  Decoart Media line paints, Burnt Umber, Titan Buff etc until I was happy with the results. I wanted a fairly neutral, tree bark sort of look. I also added some Ground Espresso Distress Spray  to add more depth to the colour and to seep into the cracks. I then highlighted the raised bits with Decoart Metallic Lustre in the colour Champagne.

Below is a close up, so you can see the effect a bit better.
At this point I decided I wanted to embellish te frame with some rusty bits, so cut two dies with a Spellbinders die, this one is called Ironworks Accents.
I cut them from Kraft card and then rusted them with the help of some rusting powder and vinegar added some colour with some more Decoart paint and adhered them to the side panels.
Next I started to work on the card I wanted to fit in the middle. I took a piece of card I had created with the help of a gelli print. I have had this for ages, and I am sorry I don't quite remember what colours I used for the original print, but I do know a memory box stencil and an Andy Skinner background stamp were involved.
I cut a bit to fit the size of the aperture in my frame and stamped one of the stamps I wanted to use in black archival ink.
The sunflower was another stamp, I stamped it three times, fussy cut different parts and layered them one on top of the other to add depth and then added some micro beads to the centre using gel medium. I coloured it with Distress markers.

I stamped the first stamp again too and fussy cut and coloured just some of the leaves and adhered them over the original stamping to add more depth and colour.

And here you can see the finished card. Both stamps are from Inkylicious.
Here finally is the whole finished frame. It came with a clear acrylic front, held in place with some little clips in the back, so that it is easy to exchange what you want to display.
Well, that's it, thanks for visiting like always, and thank you so much Ingrid for inviting me in the first place. Happy creative weekend to you all!

36 comments:

Patty O'Malley said...

Fantastic frame, Astrid! I love the idea of changing the center for the season. The dimension on the flower and leaves are eye catching.

Valerie-Jael said...

Absolutely gorgeous Astrid! Hugs, Valerie

Unknown said...

This is a real work of art, Astrid! The textures are amazing! What. A great idea to change the image depending on a season too! Fantastic! Thank you very much for sharing it with us at MMW and joining us as a Star Designer! You really are a star and a wonderful friend! Big hugs xxx

Dorthe said...

An amazing frame Astrid, so wonderful what you did, with the texture paste, it looks really like weathered wood, with the fantastic crackle, and the rusted pieces . Also the evy is fantastic painted , making the card changable is a great idea !!
Sending hugs.
Dorthe

Kerstin F. said...

Beautiful Astrid, love the weathered effect in this shabby chic wooden frame!

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Another beautiful project, the texture does look like tree bark, gorgeous ! Happy Weekend, xx

Unknown said...

This is gorgeous Astrid! Love that you've guest designed over with us at MMW, so great to see you over there. Loving the beautiful play of crackle in the piece, and the image is just the perfect choice xx

Chrissy said...

Outstanding work Astrid..love the superb crackle and Autumn colours with the rusty look hinges..Fabulous.

luv CHRISSYxx

rachel said...

thid is absolutely wonderful astrid. i really adore everything about it!!! hugs rachel x

Juliz Design Post said...

Beautiful project Astrid and great to see your steps and I love the burst of sunshine from your sunflower.
Julie x

experiments in paper said...

Brilliant!! Love the idea that you can display different pieces in this beautiful frame - and all that crackle is fabulous!! Fun to read a bit more about you as well....xxx Lynn

Redanne said...

Once again, you take a piece of wood and create a work of art Astrid, this is gorgeous! I just love that this piece is functional too - simply wonderful... Hugs, Anne xx

Meggymay said...

A stunning project Astrid, beautiful textures and all your special touches in the details.
Yvonne xx

chrissie said...

A wonderful project with a fabulous image

Love Chrissie xx

Deborah Wainwright said...

What an amazing transformation on the triptych, loving the colours you used. The centre piece is stunning. It defineatly reminds me of the end of summer. Fabulous piece hugs Debs xx

Lynne Moncrieff said...

This is very special!
Astrid, the texture is sublime and the most beautiful colours and what a beautiful idea to use this frame to display different pieces of art.
Wishes
Lynne

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is lovely Astrid!

maria's knutselplezier said...

What a beautiful project Astrid, I love the way you create structure on a lot of your projects, this one is so pretty with the beautiful sun flower and the leaves!!! I really like it!!!

Have a great week!!
Maria

Bev said...

Astrid, you are truly gifted at creating finishes! Your beautiful work always amazes me. I love it. I'm thinking about using your 'aging process' on wood and then combining it with some 'primitive' touches to use in our home in the mountains here in the U.S. You are always inspiring. Liz

Vintagehandmade said...

Oh, Astrid, you did it again! What a fantastic piece of art you made out of a simple wooden frame! I am amazed by your fabulous art! Loving the colours and awesome textures! Simply stunning!
Hugs! Branka x

Annie said...

Love your tryptich Astrid and the textures are fabulous x a great idea to change the centre panel in relation to the seasons x
Looking forward to our catch up x
Hugs Annie x

Words and Pictures said...

I love your crackled tree bark background - and the fabulous fussy-cut sunflower (rather you than me on the cutting, mind you!). The layered background print has a lovely lustre and shimmer, and what a great idea to have a display frame in which you can vary the artwork displayed according to season. A fabulous guest spot for MMW.
Alison xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous piece, wonderful textures on the frame, and a brilliant idea to be able to change the artwork, although I do like the one that's ion there now.
Avril xx

Mrs.B said...

A fabulous piece, wonderful textures on the frame, and a brilliant idea to be able to change the artwork, although I do like the one that's ion there now.
Avril xx

Margaret Mifsud said...

What a gorgeous piece and a lovely way to display your art Astrid! I so love the textures you create and your colour mix is outstanding as always. A brilliant make!! xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Amazing...love the opposite colours in the middle part...makes it even more special, Astrid

Mary Elizabeth said...

Oh ... congrats on the guest design spot over at Mixed Media World. What a fabulous make! Love the texture ... you have such a gift. And that sunflower was worth all the extra time and effort fussy cutting it!! Seriously amazing. Love the fussy cut ivy as well. Stunning focal image for the frame. Wonderful!! -- Mary Elizabeth

froebelsternchen said...

Just GORGEOUS dear Astrid.. this is an amzing make! You are such a master with all this textures and colours! Terrific art!
oxo
Susi

Terry said...

Stunning old world feel! Astrid, I just love that crackle texture on the frame. The insert is beautiful as well! Congratulations on your guest spot! Hugs!

Anneke said...

Wonderful texture. Love the look of it.
Congratulations with the interview .
Lovely to read. You are an ARTIST .
Thanks for showing how you made this master piece.

Deb said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous Astrid! What amazing texture, the frame of your beautiful triptych looks like old painted wood that's been aged for years in the sun and the rain. Just wonderful, thanks so much for sharing it! Deb xo

Jackie PN said...

What a beautiful make Astrid! I love the triptych and that sunflower is the perfect element to use with your muted palette! xo

pearshapedcrafting said...

Wow this is wonderful Astrid! The texture you achieved is amazing and I love the whole triptych - the images suit the background so well and I'm sure that whatever else you exchange it for will look just as great in this frame! Chrisx

Marjie Kemper said...

The texture is amazing, and how very clever to do this so that you can alternate the art!

Laine Kammeraad said...

Absurdly stunning Astrid. The depth of your texture is amazing and love all that crackle. Beautiful transformation and a true work of art. So delighted you were a part of MMW as a guest designer. And love that sunflower. Love how you did all that fussy cutting because it just pops off the frame. I will definitely be over to check out your blog as well.

With smiles
Laine Kammeraad
DT MMW

A Pink said...

Wow! a masterpiece ! Astrid . Truly love all the texture and the framed art work is gorgeous . You are so talented x

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key