Friday 8 August 2014

Time Flies when you are having fun....

Hello everyone and lovely to see you here today.
Time Flies is the theme the lovely Chris has chosen for the latest challenge over at A Vintage Journey

Well, time certainly does seem to fly and most certainly when you are having fun and I had loads of fun when altering this canvas.


I started with an 8 by 8" prepped canvas and began by adding some texture through Tim's Latticework Stencil, still one of my favourites, though some of the new ones are stunning too!
I used Wendi Vecchi's Texture Paste, now this is actually white, but obviously I had not cleaned my stencil well enough... oops. Ah well, as neutral were going to be my colour scheme, I decided not to worry.
I made sure some of the texture would also go over the sides:
For some further interest I added some strips of Tissue Tape and some scraps of a paper serviette.
Next I added some (further) colour with the help of Antique Linen Distress Paint and Vintage Photo and Walnut stain Distress Inks using the new mini ink pads.
Now for the embellishments, I decided to use the Weathered Clock and Layered Wings dies, taking the theme literally (and not very originally...)


I cut all pieces from Grunge Paper and then the clock again from a piece of Prima paper from the Time Traveler's Collection. (That seemed suitable, but I loved the paper anyway...)

I layered the wings up and then gave them a coat of Tarnished Brass Distress Paint. As it looked a bit too browny for my liking and I wanted a more shimmery effect I also added a coat of Decoart Dazzling Metallics in Luminous Gold. This gives a lovely golden glow, hard to see from the photo.
After cutting the clock from Grunge Paper I gave it a coat of Picket Fence Distress Crackle paint and when that had done it crackling magic, rubbed over some Walnut Stain Distress Stain to seem into the cracks and rubbed Walnut Stain Distress Ink around the edges.
I glued the centre bit of the paper clock onto the grunge paper one for strength and then covered that in Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint, to fit in with the rest of the clock.
Time to put it all together: As you can see from the main photo, I layered the wongs behind the assembled clock and then made a flower cluster using the Tattered Florals die, I used SU Vanilla card a lovely gift from my friend Jennie of Live the Dream, I also followed one of her amazing flower tutorials.
Some scuffed up letter tiles finished it all up.

Well, hope you like my altered canvas, I had great fun making it.
Mke sure you check out the new challenge at A Vintage Journey, you are going to love all the amazing inspiration from my teamies, they have totally out done themselves again and fingers crossed you fill find a moment to play along. You could be in with a change to be one of our winners!!
Enjoy the rest of the month and see you next time, - stay inky!!!

50 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful piece... stunning and elegantly done... I love the entire piece.. but the flowers and the texture paste really took my heart... love the way you create that... very YOU... Love, Light and Peace...Bonnie

DVArtist said...

Very pretty. I like this very much.
Nicole/Beadwright

massofhair said...

Beautiful canvas and gorgeous flower as always. Great techniques and colours:-) xxx

Valerie-Jael said...

WONDERFUL! Love the texture and style. Hugs, Valerie

S@ndy Diller said...

I like the way you have fun. The canvas is totally beautiful and such a nice take on the theme. Love the whole thing.

Unknown said...

I love this canvas, looks beautiful!

Maryann Laursen said...

Another outstanding project here again Astrid. Soo gorgeous and beautiful, I really love, how you made this one.

chrissie said...

A very beautiful canvas with lots of texture

Time sure does fly---you are right.

Love Chrissie xx

Ink Art Designs said...

Hi Astrid. You have such a beautiful knack for colours and layering! Everything fits so naturally...a great canvas with so many gorgeous things to see.
Dot x

Annie said...

Absolutely stunning Astrid. A wonderful composition and and beautiful textures
Hugs Annie x

Klaudia/Kszp said...

Your canvas looks absolutely amazing! Thank you very much for the step-by-step instructions

Evelyn Walter said...

Fabulous canvas! The dark middle of the clock makes such a beautiful contrast.
Have a nice weekend!
xxx Evelyn

Redanne said...

What a great way to have fun Astrid, your canvas is stunning, I love that wing set with the clock and it is always great to see how you put your compositions together too. This really is beautiful! Hugs, Anne xx

Inky and Quirky Designs said...

Wonderful creation Astrid,this is very you! Love all the textures,stunning work as always

Lovely weekend

Hugs
Donna xx

Juliz Design Post said...

A truly stunning piece Astrid. Love the crackles and your flower composition on this. Great step by step, enjoyed reading it.
Julie x

rachel said...

I adore everything abut your canvas Astrid - truely beautiful - great texture and wonderful natural tones - love it all xx

Anneke said...

Gorgeous canvas. Wonderful very inspiring. Love every bit of it. Thanks for letting us have fun too. Anneke xxx

Margaret Mifsud said...

Absolutely awesome canvas Astrid!! Great colour and the clock centre is the perfect contrast!! Love all the crackle and textures and your step by step is fabulous. I think you may have inspired me to try another canvas myself! Love this!!! ox

Heather Jacob said...

wow wow wow my new fave of yours .. thanks so much for the tutorial .. spectacular xoxo
time does fly when we are having fun, like it was for us at Sorrento .. love and hugz x

Maryanne said...

A beautiful canvas, Astrid! Time certainly does fly and I love all the imagery you used to reinforce the theme! Wonderful as always!!

Jennie Atkinson said...

wow Astrid - your work is always AMAZING but this is just SUPER AMAZING! I love all the wonderful textures and the colours are just so wonderfully vintage and "timeless". Just stunning! and I am so pleased you are enjoying the paper - great flower!! Have a lovely weekend. Jennie x

Meggymay said...

A stunning canvas, as ever beautiful textures and details.
Yvonne

Rita said...

What a stunning canvas Astrid. You always create such interesting pieces. Hugs Rita xxx

Terry said...

Beautiful and breathtaking canvas, Astrid. I agree that the "Time Traveler" paper is appropriate and stunning for focal point. Love the crackling effects and all the texture and details! Enjoy the weekend! Hugs!

Dorthe said...

It is a beautiful, and gorgeous piece, dear Astrid. Your stenciled background and side looks fantastic, and so does the clock and wings. So lovely in colour tones, and with the flowers and curled stems !!

Hugs,Dorthe

Cardgenie said...

Astrid, this canvas is gorgeous. I love the vintage look and this really hits the spot. Fabulous! Jean.x

Anonymous said...

I love your vintage style canvas Astrid, it's stunning! xxx

Healing Woman said...

Love this one. Thanks for showing materials and how to's. Your piece is so well balanced and those wings are great.

froebelsternchen said...

This is fascinating Astrid and so great to see how you made it!
Thank you for sharing with us!
I also adore the below piece ..this is so beautiful too!

Jools Robertson said...

Beautiful canvas, love the colours and fabulous textures
The finish on the weathered clock and wings is amazing and the vintage floral background is lovely and gorgeous floral and butterfly embellishments

Jools x

Paper Profusion said...

Yet another superb make from you Astrid - this is gorgeous!! Nicola x

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous canvas Astrid ! Love the neutral palette and the clock is fabulous ! Sue C x

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's a great altered canvas. Fantastic textures and details.

Jackie PN said...

Astrid, can I come sit with you and watch you create? This canvas is amazing and I love all the steps and textures and dazzle and crackle and well...you get it- everything! You rocked this theme and I am a huge fan! xoxo

mamablitger said...

Astrid you keep on to amaze me.. LOVE your work !! This canvas is just fabulous !! The texture, the crackle, the design elements... Oh yes... Everything fits just perfect together !!!!
You are so talented and creative. Thanks a lot for sharing and to spread inspiration.
Hugs from SPAIN

Marisa Job said...

This is amazing! I would love to sit down with you and craft all day!! Have a great weekend!!

sharon said...

Shabby chic gorgeous Astrid! I adore the neutrals!

Jenny Marples said...

Your canvases are always so beautiful and it's wonderful to see how this has come together (our insight into your creative process). I love the way that weathered clock looks here with its patterned centre. Jenny x

Ros Crawford said...

Love your canvas!! That is a lovely stencil and I really like your golden wings ..

Joanne said...

I find this so incredibly beautiful

Nikki Acton said...

Amazing composition and textures Astrid. Thanks for sharing your fabulous techniques. Nikki xx

Brenda Brown said...

A wonderful interpretation of the theme Astrid and a beautiful mixed media piece of art. I love the elements you have added and the gorgeous colour palette xxx

Anonymous said...

Beautifully done as always Astrid!! Love all that texture on the wonderful background. Karen.x

Unknown said...

Wonderful artwork! Thank you for the tutorial, I love to see how your creations are made. It's an opportunity for me to learn and discover new techniques.
Thank you for your lovely comments!
Ingrid xx

Mrs.B said...

A beautiful canvas Astrid, love the different textures and finishes.
Thanks for the step by step pics.
Avril x

Corrie Herriman said...

Another stunning piece, Astrid ! Wonderful in every way !
Corrie x

Words and Pictures said...

Really gorgeous - the textures throughout are so cool - love to get my fingers on this one! - and the crackly clock is delicious!
Alison xx

Julia Aston said...

The thick stenciling with the embossing paste on the corners look wonderful Astrid! love the muted colors on this beautiful piece! your cloak and background are so nicely crackled!

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

So so so beautiful Astrid, and the texture is amazing! LOVE LOVE this!

rkramadh said...

One more typical Astrid style creation that is absolutely gorgeous!! Thank you so very much for the tutorial, I feel like I can try this with my own variation. You are the queen of perfect layering and I never knew how to go about it until I found your blog. This piece is simple in steps yet so very elegant and vintage. Thanks for the inspiration you provide each day!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key