Friday 2 October 2015

Art journalling with Tim

Hello lovely visitors, today I am sharing an art journal page created for our latest challenge over at A Vintage Journey.
The theme for this month is Art Journalling with Tim, chosen by the lovely Alison from Words and Pictures. Now I love art journalling, but "Journalling with Tim", proved a bit of a challenge, because really art journalling is not something I have seen Tim do a lot of.... So in the end I just did my own thing, used quite a few of Tim's products, and most importantly had fun in the process. If you decide to join in with the challenge, I hope you'll do the same.
Below is a quick step by step of how this page was created:

I covered a double page in my Moleskine journal with Tim's Tissue Wrap and gave it a thin coat of gesso.

Next I started to paint with a variety of Distress Paints, Antique Linen, Scattered Straw and Ground Espresso. It's great to have a truly dark brown colour now in the Distress Paint Range. I blended them with a baby wipe and my fingers until I was happy with the result. As you can see there are some wrinkles from the Tissue Wrap, but I did not mind that...
In fact, I decided I wanted some more texture so used some Ranger Clear Texture Paste through a Crafters Workshop stencil, and when that had dried gave it a few sprtitzes with Hickory Smoke Distress Stain Spray.

Love how it pools around the raised bits....
Time for some stamping, I used a La Blanche and a Tim Holtz stamp (I got that one on Ebay, so not sure what set it belongs too).
I stamped them on tissue paper in black Versafine and then adhered them to the page using gel medium. When dry I blended some more of the paints around to make them merge into the background and become part of the page. I also added some stencilling using my all time favourite Latticework layering stencil and some Ground Espresso Distress Ink. I was surprised how well it came out over the paint. I also added some subtle purple tones, using Dusty Concord over the flower (hard to see on the photo... To be honest, at this point I really did not like what I had done, it had all come out too dark, but it was too late to start over, so I decided to just continue and do some collage on the other side to balance it all out.
I cut some labels out of a gelli print that was flying around on my desk, added some stamping (mostly using the Correspondence set, and gathered some other bits and pieces.
I layered them all up, adding one or two other embellishments, including a photo from the Photobooth collection..
Well there you have it, I still don't really like the page, but too bad..... Some you like and some you don't, it's all part of the creative process.....
 If you want to see some really cool journaling inspiration, do head over to the Vintage Journey Blog. My teamies have out done themselves this month, I promise you will not be disappointed!!

Hope you will decide to play along with our challenge too, we would all love to see what you create, and of course like always, there is a prize to be won and 3 pinworthy projects to be chosen by the team, so hopefully see you there!

Happy journalling and thanks so much for your visit here!!

44 comments:

brenda said...

It's always such a pleasure to you your pieces of artwork Astrid and I always enjoy reading the various stages involved.

B x

Redanne said...

It is always a delight to see your beautiful pages Astrid, you always make it look effortless... I love the background you created for the ephemera pieces to sit upon. I know you are not happy with it but I think it is wonderful and will definitely try your 'tissue' technique - I feel inspired to create another page now! Apologies for my lack of visits, I have been admiring from afar! Hugs, Anne xx

Adriana B said...

Great Journal page, :) thank for sharing, you are an amazing artist :)

Words and Pictures said...

I love the vintage look and fabulous layers of colour and texture as always. These pages are so beautiful - ephemera and stamping beautifully composed… and it was exactly what I meant - we don't see Tim journalling, but how do we use his techniques and products, or how are we inspired by his vintage style in our own journalling - this couldn't be more perfect as inspiration!
Alison xx

Candy C said...

Wow Astrid!!! This is so lovely!

Jackie PN said...

Just beautiful Astrid! I always love your journal pages!! xo

maria's knutselplezier said...

Wow Astrid, how beautiful is this, I really love this page, the vintage look , the colours and teh beautiful structure, you are one of a kind, you are a great Artist!!

Greetings
Maria

Ruth said...

Fabulous journal pages....as always! Lovely combination of elements and textures, I'm sure this theme was right up your street Astrid! Wonderful. Ruth x

S@ndy Diller said...

Love your pages Astrid - they are lovely as is everything you do!
Sandy xx

chrissie said...

Very beautiful spread and wonderful to be able to use Tim products to do journaling as well as everything else

Love Chrissie xx

Dorthe said...

Dear Astrid, I think they are fabolous, both pages, the textured background with all the interessting magic you created , is "hosting" the woman and all the wonderful labels you made, as if they belonged there for ever !! And such beautiful stamping too!!
Dorthe, xx

Silvis Kreativstube said...

Hallo liebe Astrid,

ich bin wieder total überwältigt von der wunderschönen Gestaltung. Ich bewundere deine Arbeit sehr. Es ist mit viel Liebe zum Detail gestaltet und gefällt mir mega gut. Ich wünsche dir ein wunderschönes Wochenende. Ganz liebe Grüße Silvi

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Hi Astrid, love your journal pages, the sepia, aged tones are perfect combined with the imagery you used and I love the added flower and texture you incorporated with the paste. Great design too. I love that "Be Free" piece. Tracy x

Sandy said...

I think your pages are beautiful Astrid - if only I could do half as well!!! I so appreciate your tutorial -- it helps me so much. Now I just have to do it!
Sandy xx

Paper Creations by Shirley said...

Beautiful pages with great textures and embellishments. I haven't seen Tim show Art Journalling either, but I'm sure he would love these pages in the earthy distress tones and lots of his products. Take care, Shirleyxx

Corrie Herriman said...

I do like this page even though you don't Astrid. But is happens to us all that you make something and don't really like it...
Corrie x

Ellie Knol said...

LOVE your pages!

Jennie Atkinson said...

Wonderful vintage art journal pages Astrid! They are just stunning in so many ways - the colours, the textures, the mix of embellishments ……… Just fabulous! Jennie x

Nikki Acton said...

Loving your texture and composition Astrid - so elegantly created. Nikki x

Anjas-Artefaktotum said...

Awesome pages, love all details, thanks for showing the progress photos.
Big hugs Anja

Meggymay said...

Awesome journal pages Tim style, fabulous layers of textures and detail, and with your own special touch and style.
Yvonne

Lynne Moncrieff said...

Beautiful layers of stencil, especially the latticework stencil, is crisp a result. A wonderful collection of collage pieces to create a mood and tell a story
Wishes
Lynne

rachel said...

awesome work Astrid - can't wait to join in with this one! Hugs rachel x

Anneke said...

This looks gorgeous Astrid. I love all the layers.
Wonderful texture, great colors.

Patty O'Malley said...

I think your pages turned out wonderful, Astrid!

Linda said...

Astrid, absolutely gorgeous! You have tremendous talent, and a lovely blog. I love vintage. :)

Maryann Laursen said...

I think, you´re way too har on yourself about this, cause it´s awesome and really beautiful Astrid. I like it a lot, hwat came out of this awesome process here.

klistersøster said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely vintage page, I have always admired your many layers of paper, paste and delicate colors.
Hugs, Susan

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Beautiful, Astrid! And thanks for showing the steps of how you created this.

Terry said...

Wonderful art journal spread, Astrid! The layers of tissue paper and paint colors make a great vintage background for the elements! I have a tendency to wipe off most of my paints/inks when I use a baby wipe! Love your Tim style art journal! Hugs!

Jenny Marples said...

Genuinely dreamy Astrid. I love how the Hickory Smoke looks over the stencilling and what a lucky find with that gelli print! A perfect match for your embellies. Love it all. Jenny x

Unknown said...

As always, stunning.

experiments in paper said...

Beautiful, Astrid - your flower reminds me of a Victorian botanical print, against that wonderful background. Love your colors, and the stenciled writing....gorgeous vintage pages! xxx Lynn

Mrs.B said...

Wonderful journal pages Astrid, love the vintage colours with the collection images and ephemera against the textures. Thanks for the step by step pics.
Avril xx

Juliz Design Post said...

Stunning pages Astrid and great post to read.
Julie x

Anita Houston The Artful Maven said...

GORGEOUS...just GORGEOUS!!! I LOVE the distressed vintage feel, and yet so elegant! LOVE!!!

Studio Susanne said...

Ohh Astrid,
You have worked your magic again and created a gorgeous spread here. I LOVE the vintage shabby chic effect you have achieved with it, there is such interesting detail and the colours and textures are delightful. I bet if you don't look at the spread for a few days then come back to, it you will see it again and love it too. Sometimes if I have spent a few hours on a journal spread, if I look at it with fresh eyes I like it when Imwasn't so keen whilst I was working on it.
I always enjoy looking at your beautiful work. Have you ever considered videoing you process? I am sure lots of us would really enjoy watching your process.
Warmest best wishes
Susanne

Unknown said...

I think this journalling with Tim page is incredible, what a fab idea too. I love your page and the vintage tone it has xx

Alie Hoogenboezem-de Vries said...

Stunning vintage art Astrid!

Deb said...

Well I think your Tim inspired journal page turned out beautifully Astrid, gorgeous colours (I do see the hint of Dusty Concord in your pretty posie) and the layered ephemera balances the whole perfectly. Thanks so much for sharing it, can't wait to try my hand at some Tim inspired journaling now! Deb xo

Helen Liu said...

Hi Astrid, your delicate artwork has provided inspirations to me, especially the layers of stenciling. I just can't take my eyes away from this masterpiece. Please also stop by my blog and take a look at my entry, http://stampfairy-helen.blogspot.tw/2015/10/thanksgiving-blessing-tag.html , thanks.

pearshapedcrafting said...

An amazing spread - love those colours! Chrisx

A Pink said...

Another gorgeous piece of work ! Astrid. I love your colours ,all the texture and the latticework stencilling in espresso is fab . Your ephemera is collaged wonderfully . x

Curls N Twirls said...

Another Masterpiece I would say .. Just enjoying the Vintage feel , the flowers . The Embellishments were the one which caught my fancy .. I loved it !!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key