Thursday 27 April 2017

Practice makes perfect... well I hope so at least

Hello friends and welcome! A special welcome also to all my new followers, thanks so much for joining me on my journey!
Today I have a project to share that I was actually not sure I would post here..... But not every project can always be good, right?

Let me start by telling you what it is: A really simple set of tags that I made for fun and two reasons: 1) To play with my Oxides inks and try out different colour combos.
2) To practise my brushpen calligraphy ( and that is the bit I am really embarrassed to share)...

With my new interest in Midori sized travel and junk journals, I thought it was essential to work on my hand writing and learn brushpen calligraphy, - but boy, I have a long way to go as you will see.

But enough of the waffle and on to the project:
I forced myself to only use two colours of the Oxides on each tag, so this is what I used:
1: Vintage Photo & Iced Spruce
2: Vintage Photo & Peeled Paint
3. Peeled Paint & Faded Jeans
4. Broken China & Wilted Violet
5. Fossilized Amber and Fired Brick
Here are close ups of just a couple of them:
This is number 3, I was amazed just how many colour variations you get by just layering up two colours only and then spritzing, layering and spritzing again. (I did edge each tag with just normal DI in Ground Espresso)
Same thing, this is number 2, - again at least 3 or 4 layers with drying in between, - I just love these inks so much.
Anyway, onto the finished tags, each with a quote in very imperfect brush lettering. I have down loaded several so called "drill sheets" to practise each day, so hopefully I will get better in time. Oh for those of you who are interested, I used Tombow Markers.

For this and the next one I outlined in white, not sure whether that was a good idea or not...

As you probably gathered, I kept embellishments very simple, just using a few little things to add a bit more interest.



Well there you are, I'll keep going with the drill sheets and probably turn these tags eventually into a little booklet to chart my progress, - I'll keep you posted....

Hope the sun shines where you are and thanks for your visit today
xxxxx

24 comments:

Margaret Mifsud said...

These are really gorgeous Astrid! You may not be totally happy with them but I love them!! Been hearing a lot about those Oxide Inks and, after seeing those stunning backgrounds, I can understand people raving about them. I love the colour combinations and the effects achieved .. absolutely stunning! As for the brush pen caligraphy, I think these are pretty darn good for a first attempt .. I know I wouldn't have done half as good. I truly love all of these and am happy you decided to share them! Enjoy what's left of the week .. can't believe it's nearly the end of April already .. the year seems to be slipping by way too fast. hugs xx

Jackie PN said...

Astrid, these are gorgeous tags! And I love your lettering- well done!
The white outline is nice,although I like it better with the blue letters. Sometimes just playing around makes the best pieces!
hugs,Jackie xx
ps I love my Oxides too!

Valerie-Jael said...

Wonderful tags, and your writing looks great to me! Hugs, Valerie

Dorthe said...

Oh Astrid,
your writing surely looks great to me, I never tried, but love what you did, also the outlining looks good.They are all such wonderful colors, and the inks react so beautifully with the water , - such lovely tags!!
Dorthe xoxo

Patty O'Malley said...

I think these are fantastic!

chrissie said...

A really stunning set of tags with beautiful. You are being too hard on yourself about the writing it looks just right and also has some of yourself that makes iy special
Love Chrissie xx

froebelsternchen said...

You shouldn't be shy with your handwriting Astrid - it's gorgeous and the more you dare to write the better and looser it will get. And the best - we can bring so much mor personality to our art.
I love your tags - a wonderful way to try out and play with the oxides and do calligraphy exercies! BRAVO from my side!
oxo Susi

froebelsternchen said...

sorry for my mistakes....♥

Susan said...

These tags are wonderful. I so look forward to your emails and marvel at your talent. Thank you so much for sharing.

Redanne said...

I just love your Oxide backgrounds, the colour combos are wonderful. I think you may be being a little hard on yourself, I think your writing is beautiful, I would love to be able to write as beautifully as you. I feel quite drawn to the blue and reddish tags, but they are all lovely! Hugs, Anne xx

Anneke said...

Astird keep on going. You are doing fine. I won't even start
Doing this so be proud of yourself. Beautiful tags!

Meggymay said...

These experiments look fantastic to me, the colour combinations all look great. Its super writing as well.
Yvonne xx

Helen Wallace said...

The oxide ink experiments are stunning. I've ordered some, but they are taking ages to arrive. Bravo with the lettering. I think it looks great and congrats on trying a new thing.

Adriana B said...

Gorgeous tags Astrid, loving all the colour combinations too X

Maryann Laursen said...

You´re way too hard on yourself here Astrid, your writing is absolut amazing. I wouldn´t even be able to do it half as good as this. And I love, what you´ve done with the Oxides too, it looks really fabulkous and that is somethng I´m considdering to give a try, and you have convinced me even more now, as this looks awesome. I think these tags looks truly amazing and nothing to be ashamed of,. that´s for sure. Have a wonderful week-end ahead now and lots more fun.

Brenda Brown said...

Your colour combinations, designs and brush writing are all fabulous Astrid and this set of tags will look incredible in a journal. I see nothing to be embarrassed about here. Have a great weekend xxx

brenda said...

The new Oxides offer the perfect opportunity to have a play Astrid, I did much the same and like you amazed how well you can build the colour as your lovely tags prove.

Your Japanese journey sounds amazing a pace that's been on wish list forever but sadly one I doubt I will achieve - your cherry blossom piece below is beautiful.

My thanks for your visits, I do so appreciate them and can only apologise that mine are less often than I would like, I am finding ways round crafting in short bursts but the keyboard remains a bit if an issue.

B x

Diana Taylor said...

Your tags are really lovely, but I think you are being too hard on yourself! The writing is beautifully done, and I certainly don't think many people could do better, it's a very difficult skill to master so give yourself a gold star and go to the top of the class!! The backgrounds are also really fab and you are definitely selling the Oxides to me!
Diana x

Monika Gulyas said...

Variations on a Theme :-) So many beautiful tags in so many beautiful colours!!! And not to forget your wonderful handwritings! I love your quotes too!

Sandy said...

You make me want to pull my hair out and scream! Your tags are wonderful - beautiful colors and you writing? My Lord Astrid, I should live long enough to be so good. But I admit, I need so much practice in so many ways. Love your art work Sugar!!
sandy xx

maria's knutselplezier said...

Great tags, dear Astrid, great colours and words!!

Have fun!!
Maria

Corrie Herriman said...

I think they're fab !
Corrie x

A Pink said...

Those oxide tags are fabulous and such a great way to practise and record your calligraphy - no embarrassment necessary it looks great from where I'm sitting .
hugs x

pearshapedcrafting said...

These are fabulous Astrid and it's great to see the different combinations of Oxides! Your lettering is wonderful by the way! Chrisxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

One World One Heart

Photo

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed

Birthday Card

Birthday Card
Just got a whole lot of new stamps from a brilliant place called the Stamp Smith. This is the image that I first saw on Docraft and really liked. I asked the friend who has used it in an ATC, where she got it. Well she borrowed it from a friend who got it from ebay as a one off. But.... it had a title. I googled the title, and hey presto found the site. They have great stamps and offer a really friendly fast service. I highly recommend them!

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Gothic Arch Trifold inside

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Back of Gothic Arch Trifold

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch Within the Heart

Gothic Arch, the Key

Gothic Arch, the Key